Thursday, April 22, 2010

While you are waiting ...

By CATHY ERICKSON

We really are creatures of waiting. We can’t wait to be old enough to drive, date, and find a lifetime partner. We wait anxiously for our first job and the birth of our first child, but what do we do while we are waiting? In the past I tended to be anxious and worry. There were times I actually made myself sick thinking about something that never even happened.

Lately I have begun to use these times of waiting to reflect on God and what He is saying through each experience. If I focus on him, I can actually hear his still small voice softly speaking in the midst of my chaotic thoughts.

On one especially frantic day I was flipping through the files of worries in my head, desperately searching for answers while praying to God for mercy. All of a sudden God spoke to my heart, “Be still and know that I am God.” Wow, it felt like I had never heard that before, but as I let those words sink in I was warmed by the thought that I could totally stop my racing heart and know that there was someone bigger than me who is in charge.

As I wait at home or in a waiting room of a hospital, God is with me, lovingly caring for me. In my imagination I see him tenderly holding me in His arms as my cares begin to drop, one by one, and then I know that he is God.